Refilling OEM HP-02 Cartridges
WARNING: Letting your refilled cartridge run
out of ink can ruin your printer!
- Put the cartridge on some paper towels in an area
where you can tolerate a spill. Working over a sink is a good idea.
- Look at the top of the cartridge. Locate the small
dimple on top.
- Melt a hole through the plastic into the main
chamber. (The exact location is not critical, but we suggest making the
hole through the dimple.) We suggest using a soldering iron or
wood-burning tool. If you don't have one, take a large paper clip or
small nail to a flame, heat it up, and melt your hole with this item. Be
sure to hold the nail or paper clip with pliers or something similar
since it will get hot! Do not drill this hole since the shavings will
clog the ink flow.
- Take the syringe, fill with ink from the ink bottle.
Tip the bottle slightly sideways to fill the syringe.
- On this cartridge, it is important to fill the
cartridge completely full.
- Remove your needle from your syringe. Set aside the
- Seal the hole airtight! A good way to do this is to
use a dab of hot glue. Another solution may be to use black vinyl
electrical tape. But don't use masking tape or ordinary "scotch" tape,
since these don't form an airtight seal.
- Set above a paper towel for a few minutes as a drip
precaution. Do not allow the cartridge to touch the paper, since the
paper will draw out the ink.
- For best results, let sit overnight before using to
make sure it doesn't leak.
- For longterm storage, store in a zip lock bag.
Your cartridge is filled and ready to go.
Important Notice...Refill your cartridge before it
is empty. These printers can get an air
lock in the printhead so you don't want it to pull in any air from an empty
Failure to follow these instructions precisely can ruin your
It is vital that you do not let a
refilled #02 cartridge run out of ink!
These cartridges contain a microchip which
counts the amount of ink used. Under normal conditions, the
cartridge is refilled when the ink has
been used. A normal cartridge will still have ink remaining when the
level reads "ink out". This is important because the printer
does not have a backup method of determining when the cartridge is
out of ink! Don't wait till the
last moment to refill your cartridge!
If the cartridge truly runs out of ink, air
will be pulled into the printhead, possibly causing a "fatal printer
error". Therefore, it is important to not let your refilled
cartridges run out of ink!
Let us emphasize one more time: You
must not let the refilled cartridges run out of ink!
1. Open the lid to your printer.
2. Place your refilled tank into the cradle that corresponds with the
color of the tank.
3. Close the lid to your printer.
4. A prompt will then display on your printer screen saying "Original
HP Ink Depleted".
5. On your printer will be a circle of buttons with "OK" in the
middle and arrow keys. Press the right arrow key.
6. A prompt will then display on your printer screen saying
7. Press the "OK" button on your printer.
A Refill Kit should include Ink plus
One 30cc Syringe with blunt needle for black.
Five 10cc Syringes with blunt needle
Printer ink and Refill kits for your Printer