Epson SO20047, SO20049, SO20097 Cartridge
The front 2/3rds of these cartridges is filled with foam to retain the ink which is
contained in an ink reservoir in the rear third of the cartridge. There are air passages
in the top of the cartridge which lead to the foam area -- these must be open when
printing, but closed during extended storage.
For best results, never leave your Epson printer without an installed
cartridge -- even an empty one -- for more than an hour or so, because the ink -- the
original or our refill ink -- will begin to gel to the consistency of honey, which will
require multiple cleaning routines to clear.
Black & Color Cartridges
1) Put the cartridge on some paper towels in an area where you can tolerate a
2) Locate the black rubber seal(s) on the bottom of the cartridge.
3) Insert the "Epson Rivet(s)" into each seal and press down firmly.
Alternatively, you may seal the outlet hole(s) in the base of the
cartridge with tape. A separate piece over each hole is preferred.
4) Using the Thumb Drill make breather holes in positions shown below.
This is not necessary on black cartridge.
5) Attach the needle to the syringe with the appropriate color ink.
6) Using the needle, push through the label all the way into the
cartridge of the correct filling hole. Very slowly inject ink into the sponge until the
cartridge is full. (This will soak the sponge with ink and refill the reservoir).
Any unused ink may be returned to the bottle. Rinse the syringe with water.
7) When finished, seal the Filling Hole(s) made in the top
with tape. If the holes are not sealed properly the cartridge will leak
8) Important - Next, remove the
"Epson Rivets (or tape) from all exit ports.
9) Replace the cartridge and run 1 - 3 cleaning cycles as per
Or print the following pages:
For best results, leave cartridge in printer for 8 hours after refilling so the ink can saturate the entire sponge.
NOTE: If cartridge is refilled before it is completely empty
this time is greatly reduced.
A Refill Kit should include Ink plus
1 Rivet for Black or 3 Rivet for Color.
1 Syringe for Black or 3 Syringes for Color.
Printer ink and Refill kits for your Printer